Thursday, May 24, 2012

An Update in the Life of Hattie

Okay. So y'all know about Warrior Dash and all the other stuffs I've posted about. This is just a general little update, because I'm way too lazy to write a REAL blogpost, especially when I have to write actual novels and such.

I have to get the oil changed in my car. Apparently the little sticker thing at the top fell, so I've gone like six months without getting it changed. Which is far too long, according to my parents. So I'm doing that at some point today.

Last night, I had a really excellent bout of writing after a scare. You see, my writing computer (not this one I'm on now; the one in my room has no Internet, so there's less chance of distraction) is old. Very, very old. Like, we've had it since I was three or so. I love it to death (named her Penelope), especially the keyboard. It's an old one, with great, clacking keys (even though it's supposedly a "QuietKey" model, haha) that make me feel productive.

So yeah, this computer sits on a big container thing holding all my VHS movies. I type from my bed, which is centered in the middle of the room. Well, my mouse has a tendancy to fall off my bed. When this happened as I was grabbing a notebook that had some of my thoughts in it, some sort of wizardry happened, and the computer screen went dark. Not off - dark. The blinky green light was still on. I screeched (I'd started typing, my story was open when this happened, what if I lost EVERYTHING), and ran around checking wire connections and all that. Nothing.

Then the computer restarted. Which takes FOREVER. I mean, remember, this is a 16yo computer (possibly older, because my momma's work had been giving their old ones away and that's how we got it). There's a reason I don't log off or shut down. It takes too damn long to start everything back up!

I ended up losing the two new sentences I had typed. That wasn't too bad, I could live with that. I ended up with about ten more pages by the time I stopped last night. I'm pretty happy. But I have decided to never ever let my mouse fall ever again.

Other things in the life of Hattie: I went to Busch Gardens last night. For any who might not know, it's an amusement park with rollercoasters and stuff. My friend Carter works there, and they were having a thing where you could ride Verbolten (the new rollercoaster) and Mach Tower (a drop tower they got last year) for free, and get some munchies. He could bring one guest, and he picked me!

I'm friends with that guy again, the one I fooled around with and then he was stupid. He hates how stubborn I am, and I hate how he never says how he feels and instead just gives me the silent treatment like a middle school girl. But we're friends. We've been meaning to hang out again, so I can show him The Walking Dead and he can bring me banana popsicles. He also seems to think that we'd fool around, but I doubt we would. That would take a hell of a lot of banana popsicles.

Uhm, that's pretty much it. I'm trying to cut down on eating so much, because I want to be fit. There's another Warrior Dash in September, so I'm totally doing it.

10 comments:

  1. ...Hattie, your blog looks seriously bizarre in Italian. Google for some reason has demanded that it auto-transfer from .com to .it, just based on my location...

    It's awesome that you got to ride Verbolten! Did you know the trick about the track before, or only after you went on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, how bizarre? And it changed your screen name! I almost didn't realize it was you, haha.

    I did not know, and I applauded when it happened. It was so cool! I'm not sure how they even MANAGED that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My computer is sort of handicapped too. It's a laptop, only a year or so old, but with a battery that all of a sudden when from having a 5 hours+ charge to only 2. So I have to use the chord extension and plug the battery pack out to conserve whatever amount of breath it has left (for emergencies that never show their heads. Hey, even if they do, I'd only know I'm in the midst of an emergency while everything around me is going awry and it's already too late for preparation). One morning the power went out. I was working on my novel, as I do most times at seven o'clock or right before sunrise, and ended up losing most of my morning's work due to not 'saving' my document before the big electrical *BANG!* Luckily my kick-ass memory helped me recover half of it all. But the other half will be forever lost in digitized deep space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant 'went' not *when*. Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Things like that (the losing of writing when there are electrical issues) are why I now have my Word documents set to saving every minute. It's very useful.

      Delete
  4. I lost about 8000 words during Nanowrimo last year. My hard drive on my relatively newish laptop just suddenly fried. Luckily I'd backed up my photos and emailed my manuscript to myself shortly before but those 8000 words plus a whole lot of other things were gone for good. (I still finished my 50000 words though!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, that's rough! I'd bawl like a baby. Good on you for finishing the 50k, though!

      Also, nice to meet you :)

      Delete
    2. Nice to meet you too, Hattie/Will! This is Marianne from the pitch thread and facebook. I'm trying to get used to my new gmail account.

      Delete
    3. Oh, HEY Marianne! I figured it had to be someone from Ammy :) I understand. When I first got my gmail account months ago, I was bewildered. It's all fancy.

      Delete
    4. I love gmail. Once you get used to it, it's simple, efficient, and aesthetically pleasing. I just don't quite get the Google+ feature yet...

      Delete

You should know that my cat hates you.