Friday, May 4, 2012

Watah!

I can't be the only one who always forgets that it's a new month.

But that's not the point of this post.

The point of this post is that I think I might be part mermaid.

Now, before you start harping on about how being "part" mermaid makes no sense because mermaids are already part human and part fish, hear me out.

All my life, water has been my best friend and favourite environment. By the time I was two, I could swim even in the deep end of the pool. By the time I was four, my swimming instructor told my mother that I could get full-ride scholarships to any college of my choice at the least, and go to the Olympics at the most, if I trained and such from then on.

Of course, because I was four and contrary, I turned up my nose at that and took up ballet. That lasted about a month or two. Then I did gymnasatics. That I really liked, but it was dangerous and I wasn't all that good, so my momma took me out. Besides, the only part of swimming I loved was swimming underwater. Doing the structured half-in half-out nonsense professionals do held no attraction to me.

Anyway.

I love water. I love swimming and splashing and wading and everything you can possibly do within the water. When I go to the beach, over 90% of my time is spent in the water, only coming out if I go numb or I need more sunscreen.

In the water, I am graceful and strong. Out of the water, I'm strong... but as far from graceful as a baby giraffe.

Thus the reason I believe I'm part mermaid.

If I were full mermaid, I'd gain a tail when I hit water. As that isn't the case... I can only assume that I'm more human than mermaid, and get the sad end of the stick without tail or gills. The only thing that remains proof of my magical heritage is my natural ability to cavort in H2O.

One thing, though.

I hate water on my face.

Like, if the rest of me isn't wet, I do not want water on my face. If my head is above water, I do not want any trickles or drips or drops or anything. Even in the shower, I avoid getting any of the spray on my face until it's time to wash it, and right after that I dry it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Yeah, I'm aware this was a pointless post. But you know what? I don't care. I went to the beach today, and it was wonderful. So you can just deal with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should know that my cat hates you.