Wednesday, October 26, 2011

November: Best and Worst Month of the Year

November swiftly approaches, and with it comes two things. One is good. Great, even. Okay, it's fan-freaking-tastic. The other... not so much.

The most phantasmorical part of November: on November 5, it will be my birthday. Everyone shall gloriously praise the day of my birth, the day I graced the world with my presence. At 7:58 AM, I shall officially be 19 years old. True, this means nothing in our society. But who gives a rip? It's me, and I'm amazing, so that should be enough.

As for the other part of November. NaNoWriMo. Also known as National Novel Writing Month. Best known as simply "NaNo". This time of year strikes both excitement and fear into the hearts of novelists everywhere.

For those of you completely ignorant of this special time of year, it's when you write a 50,000+ word novel in exactly one month. What is the point, you say? To prove that you can do it, of course. There aren't really any prizes (though if you upload your word count on the official site you get a certificate), and most people think we're all idiots for doing it. They might be right, but it's not like we care.

Pretty much, November becomes a time of little sleep, lots of random crying jags, and incessant muttering. You go insane, basically. For those of us with lives (aka school and work), we have to find a way to write 1,667 words a day in between classes and working. This may not SEEM very hard to those of you who have never tried it. Trust me, it's a bitch.

Think about it. Most essays for scholarships or even class cap out at 500 words. That's not even half of what we have to do. It takes people DAYS to write a mere 500 words. In the span of three days, we have to write 5,001 words. Let that sink in for a moment. 5,001 words. That's 100x more words than your lengthier essays.

So I'm warning you now that there might not be any posts during the month of November. Of course, there might be short ones like "Still alive. Five days behind. Please kill me." But something of substance... nah. I'll be far too busy trying to keep from falling too far behind.

Wish me luck. If you're also participating, I wish you luck. We're all crazy, and probably should get locked up. Oh well. Let's roam the streets with foam swords and attacking/chasing cars while we can.

1 comment:

  1. lol.

    Good luck! Even though I can't do it this year, I'll be rooting for you guys!

    (Foam swords? This sounds like it has potential to be an awesome Thanksgiving break get-together...)

    ReplyDelete

You should know that my cat hates you.