Thursday, September 27, 2012

Author Interview

I'm a day late, but I've never been known for my ability to remember things... I'd actually had it ready to go, too! This is what happens when I don't procrastinate.

What is the working title of your book?

The Malfeasance. It's SUPER tentative right now, as I'm not sure how I feel about having a title starting with "the" when I have a plan for a series where they all do as well. They're not similar at all, so I don't want any confusion for my readers.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I'm about to get so much hate right now... It actually came from a story a friend of mine was writing. Basically, what happened is that I saw a certain aspect of her storyline - something important, but that got moved away from rather quickly - and wondered how I could change it. Our stories no longer resemble each other in the slightest, and we both like the directions the other took.

What genre does your book fall under?

Erm. That's a good question, and one I can rarely answer. The easiest answer is urban fantasy, I suppose. It takes place in today's society, just with magic as a common aspect in everyday life. I'm still vacillating between Young Adult and General Fiction, because my main character is 17 but deals with adult issues: rape, murder, the root of evil, etc.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Oh goodness. Another question that I don't have a ready answer for. Mostly because I don't tend to know actors, unless they're 25+ and attractive males. If my characters were older, I'd say Lucas Bryant for the lead male and perhaps Nicole Kidman for the lead female.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Eadrea Reched, accused of several horrific murders, must find the true evil in the world and confront the darkness in her own life to prove her innocence and find happiness for the first time.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Well now, that depends on if I win the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest next year ;) If I do, then obviously I'll be represented by Penguin. If not, then I'll probably go the route of self-publishing after shopping the manuscript around for a while.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I suppose we're counting the very first draft, huh? I never actually finished, although I did get about 40,000 words in. This newest rendition has changed significantly from the first, and I still haven't finished the first draft. I'm about 30,000 words in (and not even to the main meat of the story, which I was at by 20,000 last time around!), though.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Hrm. I can't say that I've read anything quite like what I'm writing, and I don't mean that in the "Oh, aren't I fancy and original" way. I just haven't read something that blurred the lines between Young Adult and General Fiction quite as much as The Malfeasance does.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

A big part of my inspiration is the anger I've held for years, that I know so many people deal with. Anger eats away at a person, and can mould their very existence. I wanted to explore a character who accepts her anger whole-heartedly and doesn't try to fight it, like normal people do. She's angry, she's furious actually, and she will go to extreme measures to show that.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?


There are a myriad of characters in this book, each so different from the last. And while there's definitely a love story that forms a strong part of the plot, it's not typical. There's no real romance, with flowers and declarations and wooing. It's not a choice, or something the characters even want. That will hopefully appeal to those readers who are tired of the same formula over and over again, and who don't believe in typical romance. Readers like myself, that is :)

3 comments:

  1. "The Malfeasance" sounds like an intriguing story. You definitely know how to build hype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Have you been reading the posts on the writing club board?

      Delete

You should know that my cat hates you.